Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

making | national doughnut day

Last Friday was National Doughnut Day, proving that nothing in this world is too humble to have an entire day devoted to it.  I was going to take the kiddos out for little doughnut run, and then quickly came to my senses realizing that Mom & Dad had just left for the night and I was going to have to watch said "kiddos" for the next six hours.  And I'm thinking, there has got to be a lower sugar option than frosting & sprinkle covered Dunkin.  Good news folks, there is!  Not by much...  But at least it's homemade!
I'd remembered seeing the Barefoot Contessa's recipe for Cinnamon Baked Doughnuts in her Foolproof cookbook.  The pictures looked fabulous enough, how bad could they be.  Right?  And besides, sugar & cinnamon AND butter!

They were delicious.  I used Cup4Cup flour to keep it gluten free with no further recipe changes.  Apparently with the nine billion different styles of cake pans that we own, the "donut" variety is not one that is in our arsenal.  So I used tiny bunt cake pans (Oh, the variety! I'm telling you.) and a mini muffin pan for the holes.  The kiddo's totally loved the idea of "making our own doughnuts", Cal & Gracie even greased the pans for me.  We ate them with tea and watched "State Fair", at least until the doughnuts were gone...
 Here's to celebrating obscure holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment